April 2, 2011

Gardening

On top of the may things we have to do to prepare for the arrival of our little boy, we (I) decided it would be fun to try our hand at gardening this year. We had a tomato plant and some herbs last year and I thoroughly enjoyed being able to make a meal using produce that I had grown! I had heard about square foot gardening and I so I did some further research into it. It looks like a great way to garden and once we get it all set up and started, it should be a very low maintenance garden by the time Miles arrives. By that point I'm thinking it will be great to go and get food out of my garden rather than packing up a baby and going to the grocery store. We'll see if my theory pans out. . .

We are planting Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Pole Beans, Green and Red Peppers, Basil, Broccoli, Zucchini, Rosemary, Oregano, Lettuce, Spinach, Cilantro, Marigolds, Zinnias, Mint, and Lambs Ear.

But for now, I have some pictures of getting all set up. I have had some seeds growing inside for a little while and just transplanted our first little plants, so the plan has been set in motion.

Carson was very helpful in the manual labor of building the actual boxes and carrying the large bags of soil.

Ginny had to leave her mark and be a part of the garden building
Our finished main garden (except for the netting for the tomatoes and cucumbers to grow on) We put the trellis up to deter the dogs from running through the garden when they are running through the yard.

This another box that we put by our back door. We'll put Marigolds and Lambs Ear in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Background